Ghana’s Embassy in the US is one of Ghana’s biggest missions globally and serves as the official relationship between the United States and Ghana.
Today, Dr. Barfour Adjei-Bawuah serves as the current ambassador to the United State. If it is related to everything visa, then you may need his services.
The Embassy which is the diplomatic mission of the Republic of Ghana to the United State is located exactly at 3512 International Drive, Northwest, Washington, D.C, in the Cleveland Park vicinity.
It is the flagship of Ghana’s public diplomacy in the United States. Let’s dive into some very pertinent and important details you must know about Ghana’s Embassy in the US and the purpose it serves.
Table of Contents
- 1. To Apply For A Passport
- Requirements For Applying For A Ghana Passport
- 2. To Apply For Visa
- Processes To Get A Ghana Visa In The US
- 3. Permits Requirements To Enter Ghana
- 4. Refusals of Entry
- 5. Dual Citizenship
- 6. Renunciation of Citizenship
- 7. Conveying A Dead Body
- 8. Citizens Registration
- Useful Information for People Traveling to Ghana
- Is It Worth The Cost To Visit Ghana?
1. To Apply For A Passport
The Embassy provides Ghanaians living in the United States and countries it oversees with an opportunity to apply for a new passport, renew their passport, replace a lost passport or change a damaged passport.
Requirements For Applying For A Ghana Passport
Requirement For New Passport
- Proof of being a citizen of Ghana (example: birth certificate)
- Document to support your identities such as school certificate, driver’s license, employment or student or other ID Cards
- Application and processing fee
Requirement For Renewal
- Old Ghana passport issued to you
- Document to support your identity (example: driver’s license, school certificate, employment or student or other ID Cards
- Application and processing fee
Requirement For Damaged/Defaced passport
- Prove of damaged/defaced passport
- Copy of old Ghana passport issued to you
- Document to support identification
- Application and processing fee
- Where appropriate, applicants may be asked to provide an affidavit declaring that the Ghana passport is damaged/defaced.
Cost Involved In Processing A Passport
|Application Type||32 Page Booklet|
There are several online payment methods available to applicants today to reduce the normal hassle. Of course, some merchant charges may apply, so be sure you know what you are doing.
The accepted method of payment include:
- Cashier’s Check issued to ‘Embassy of Ghana’
- Bank card payment at the counter
- Individuals who want to apply for a Ghana passport have to be citizens of Ghana by Birth, Naturalization, Registration, Adoption, or Enactment. Applicant must provide documentary evidence to prove such a claim.
- It is mandatory to have a Ghana passport before you can travel to Ghana as it is the only dependable identification and recognized universally for travel.
- A Ghana passport is issued to citizens of Ghana only. It mirrors the identity of the applicant as determined by documentary evidence of citizenship.
- Personal checks are not acceptable. Applicants are expected to make payment in Cashier’s Check only by post and at the counter
- The passport application is non-refundable whether your application is successful or otherwise
2. To Apply For Visa
Things to note before applying for a visa
- It is advisable to acquire a visa before purchasing a ticket
- Paying of visa fee is only done by a Cashier’s Check or paid online. You cannot order with money
- Applicants can no longer use Prepaid FedEx Return Envelope to secure a visa. The Embassy does not accept that any longer.
- You can make payment for return postage online using your debit or credit card. Click on PAY NOW to start the process.
- Applicants are expected to use their details even if payment is being made by a sponsor.
- Unfinished or missing documents will not be processed and will be returned back to applicants at their own expense
- Copy of applicant’s application will be forwarded to applicant’s email
- Download and print your online payment receipt from your email and include your application before mailing it to the Embassy
- It takes a period of 5 days to complete an Expedited visa type and 10 to 15 days to complete a Regular visa type (this does not include Mail-in and Mail-out processing period)
- The main purpose for your journey and other meaningful reasons will determine the type of visa you will need under Ghana’s immigration law. As an applicant, you need to first meet all requirements before you can receive the category of visa you are applying for.
Cost Involved For Processing Your Visa Application
|Visa Type||Service Type||Fee Involved|
|Single Entry Visa||Regular service||$60.00|
|Single Entry Visa||Expedited service||$100.00|
|Multiple Entry Visa||Regular service||$100.00|
|Multiple Entry Visa||Expedited service||$200.00|
How Long Does It Take To Get Ghana Visa In Us?
For standard applications, it takes a period of 10 to 15 working days from receipt of a hard copy of the application document at the Mission. Also, the processing period for Rush applications is 5 business days.
Processes To Get A Ghana Visa In The US
- First, visit the consular website to APPLY FOR VISA. This is the start of the online application process.
- On the portal, select the “All Application” option and then click on the “Apply for visa online” button to fill the visa application form.
- When you’re done filling the form, select the “Submit” button to submit your application online.
- A copy of the application you’ve completed will immediately be sent to the email address you provided for you to print.
- When you’re done printing, mail your passport with the copy of the visa application form you printed too; a Cashier’s check; two of your current passport size photographs, with all required documents to substantiate your purpose of journey to the Embassy.
- When you’re applying for children: parents must first fill and complete the child’s visa application form, include 2 passport size pictures, the processing fee, and all required or supporting documents which include; a photocopy of the child’s birth certificate; a signed and authorized consent letter by both parents, plus copies of both parent’s picture IDs.
- Mails should be sent to the following address:
Embassy of Ghana
3512 International Dr. NW
Washington, DC 20008
- Make sure the passport you are sending is valid and deemed not to expire in the next six months.
- Do pay for the return of your passport online (state the name of the applicant you are paying for if you are paying for a third party)
- Also, do secure your VISA before purchasing a ticket
- All travelers are required to hold roundtrip tickets; have sufficient funds to show as proof for the duration of their stay in the country
3. Permits Requirements To Enter Ghana
- Before any visitor can enter Ghana, the said individual has to have a valid passport or legal travel documents
- Visitors who desire to enter Ghana must possess a valid entry visa, or in the case of Commonwealth nationals, entry permits issued by a Ghana diplomatic mission or consulate abroad or any other visa issuing authority authorized by the Ghana Government to act on its behalf
- All ECOWAS nationals and individuals from countries with which the Government of Ghana has a bilateral agreement are exempted from having a permit before entering Ghana.
- All persons who are above nine months visiting or transiting through Ghana are mandated to have vaccinated against Malaria/Fever within or above ten days from the arranged date of departure and were already vaccinated, should provide proof/evidence (certificate) showing the length of vaccination being not more than ten years before traveling into Ghana.
4. Refusals of Entry
The following list of persons may not be granted entry visas:
- Prohibited immigrants
- An undesirable person
- A person without visible means of support
- On the advice of the health authorities, an individual may be refused entry into Ghana.
- Individuals may not be allowed entry if they do not satisfy immigration requirements at the point of entry
5. Dual Citizenship
In agreement with the Citizenship Act of 2002 (Act 591), Ghanaians who have acquired US Citizenship, are qualified to apply for dual citizenship.
Applicants can obtain the application forms from Ghana’s Embassy in the city of Washington D.C, or Ghana’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York.
All potential applicants who reside outside the locations indicated above and desire to buy the form can send a funds order of $250.00 per form to the Embassy with a letter/note requesting the Dual Nationality Application Form.
Make it a point to add your personal address and traceable return envelope. After obtaining dual citizenship, a holder is qualified to apply for a Ghanaian passport in addition to their US passport.
A holder of dual citizenship desiring to enter Ghana will be permitted to remain in Ghana without limitation if the individual came into the country on a Ghana passport.
It is however a crime, for a dual citizenship holder to use two passports interchangeably to mislead an immigration officer
The guidelines to consider before you apply include:
- All applicants are required to complete a Dual Nationality Application Form at a cost of $250
- The Form has to be fully filled and completed before submission to the Embassy and forwarded to the Ministry of Interior in Accra
- All applicants must add a police criminal background check to their applications
A complete application should include the following documents:
- A photocopy of your US Naturalization Certificate/US passport
- Six passport size pictures
- Proof of Ghanaian nationality – (Parent’s nationality – photocopy of passport or Birth certificate / Voter’s ID card / Ghanaian Passport)
- Personal telephone numbers
- Name and address of two relatives who reside in Ghana
- Photocopy of the receipt allotted when the application form was purchase by the applicant
6. Renunciation of Citizenship
Loss of Ghanaian citizenship is a matter that the Embassy does not take lightly at all. Before you request a Certificate of Loss of Nationality, it is expected of you to know its consequences.
There are a number of steps you can take, including arranging an appointment to visit the Embassy to sign the Loss of Citizenship documentation in the presence of a Consular Officer if you make a decision that this is the path you want to take.
Note that the Statement of Understanding clearly states that the course of action you take is irrevocable.
Also, remember that expatriation is a personal right and can never be exercised by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).
- Up to date renunciation application form is sold at $400
- Application Letter should be addressed to the Minister of Interior in Ghana through the Embassy. The Letter should specify reasons why the applicant desire to renounce his/her Ghanaian citizenship
- Applicant should include copies of his/her US Passport or assurance letter from the appropriate US authorities
- Applicant should include a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), including the names and addresses of parents or any relative residing in Ghana.
- Add photocopy of related pages of Ghana passport and dual citizenship certificate where applicable
- Include six passport size photographs
Note: renunciation come to be legal only after the renunciation Certificate has been signed by the Minister of Interior
7. Conveying A Dead Body
General Guideline For Reparation of A Dead Body To Ghana
- Use a Hermetically sealed casket
- Embalm by US standard method
- Use all wood outer shipping container
- Visa may well be approved for single or multiple entries
Document You Need To Submit For Authentication
- An approved copy of death certificate
- Locally allotted burial and or transit permit
- Fee involved: $50.00
- Embalmers’ (non-contagious) affidavit
- Non-contagious disease letter from local health authorities
- Photocopy of passport
- All necessary documents mailed should include a self-addressed, trackable and stamped return envelope.
- An approved copy of the death certificate
- Cremation certificate
- Hermetically sealed container
8. Citizens Registration
Ghanaians who live abroad should at the least chance register their names and addresses at the nearby Diplomatic Mission or Consulate of Ghana.
Failure to do so may in a period of emergency ended in difficulty or delay in rendering them the support and shelter of which they are eligible.
Modifications of address or departure from the nation should also be reported to the Mission or Consulate.
The registration of Ghanaians is encouraged because it helps convey the community to the eye of the Embassy.
Additionally, it ensures easy identification and possible help to the Ghanaians. Plus it allows the government the chance to know its citizens abroad and factor that into its developmental agenda.
Note: registration for Ghanaians is free and can be done during working days from 10:00hrs to 1:00hrs. You can start the process with this downloadable form on the consular website.
Useful Information for People Traveling to Ghana
Is It Worth The Cost To Visit Ghana?
Surely, Ghana is definitely a good place to visit. The country is blessed with unlimited opportunities in trade, human capital, investment and tourism.
The nation is regarded as a classic of democracy, characterized by political stability, rule of law and respecter of fundamental human rights.
Peace is the backbone of the nation’s advancement. With its numerous natural resources, human resources, good governance, liberal economy and infrastructure, the nation is rapidly becoming an attractive destination for most visitors.
The nation has recently discovered oil in commercial quantities and that has suddenly paved the way for many opportunities and openings for investors to take advantage of.
With its friendly and hospital people, coupled with its cultural diversity, the nation is considered an ideal place for many visitors